Beet Bruschetta with Goat Cheese and Basil is a simple delicious appetizer that is full of amazing flavor!
1 jar (16 oz.) J&A Pickled Sweet Baby Beets
1 baguette, sliced at a diagonal into 1/2 inch thick slices
Olive oil for brushing bruschetta
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
10 basil leaves – cut into ribbons
1/8 cup finely diced red onion or shallot
4 oz. goat cheese
4 oz. cream cheese
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cracked pepper
1/2 teaspoon sugar
- Slice baguette into 1/2 inch slices at a diagonal. Brush both sides with olive oil, sprinkle with a little salt and place on a sheet pan in a 400°F oven for 15-20 minutes, or until very crisp. Set aside.
- Place cream cheese and goat cheese in a bowl and warm in a microwave until just soft enough to combine easily with a fork. (I place the bowl in my toaster oven on low.) Mix with a fork until smooth. Season with salt and pepper. Feel free to add some fresh chopped herbs (basil or parsley). Set aside.
- Dice Pickled Sweet Baby Beets into very small 1/3 inch cubes and place in medium bowl.
- Add finely chopped onion, salt, pepper, sugar, olive oil and balsamic vinegar – stir to combine. Adjust to taste. You want this to be flavorful and juicy.
- Assemble: Spread a little goat cheese mixture on each bruschetta creating a “trough” (to hold beet mixture in place), and top with a tablespoon of beet mixture. Garnish with a few basil ribbons. It’s really nice to serve when the goat cheese is still a touch warm. Serve on a white platter to show it off, or on a rustic cutting board.
You can make all components ahead. Store beet relish and
cheese mixture in the fridge. Store bruschetta on the counter, uncovered,
resisting the urge to snack.
Assemble right before guests arrive, warming the cheese mixture just slightly so it’s spreadable – either in microwave, or in oven. Or leave it out on the counter for a couple hours beforehand to warm to room temp.