Homemade stuffing is a staple side dish for every Thanksgiving table! This is a traditional recipe made with dried bread cubes mixed with onions and celery sautéed in plenty of butter then mixed with sweet Bread & Butter Pickles, herbs and broth (and more butter) and baked until golden and delicious!
12 cups stale white bread – cut into 1 inch cubes (approx. 1 pound 4 oz. loaf of bread)
3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons butter divided
1 large yellow or white onion, chopped
2 cups celery, chopped stalks and leaves!
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
1/2 teaspoon marjoram
3/4 cup J&A Bread & Butter Pickles, minced
1/3 cup fresh parsley, chopped curly or Italian will work
1 cup chicken broth or stock
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and prep a 9x9 baking dish by generously greasing with butter or oil. (If you are doubling the recipe, use a 9x13 or 10x15 baking dish.)
- In a large sauté pan over medium heat, melt 3/4 cup butter. Add the onions and celery and sauté until they are completely softened. This will take about 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add the salt, pepper, poultry seasoning, marjoram, minced J&A Bread & Butter Pickles and parsley to the onions.
- In a small bowl whisk together the eggs and broth.
- Add the bread cubes to a large bowl, pour the onions/herb mixture over the bread and stir to combine. Pour the egg mixture over the bread cubes and stir until the liquid is absorbed.
- Pour the stuffing mixture into the buttered baking dish. Cube the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter and dot the top of the stuffing.
- Cover the dish with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for another 15 minutes. For an extra crispy top, turn the broiler on for a minute or two!