Coal cracker casserole combines the cozy, melted cheesy goodness of swiss and cheddar with kielbasa, pierogies and Jake & Amos sauerkraut to fulfil the comfort food desire of Autumn meals.
1 - 16 oz. jar J&A Sauerkraut
1 teaspoon canola oil
1 pound Polish Kielbasa sausage, 1-inch slices
1 Tablespoon butter
1/2 onion, sliced
freshly ground pepper
1 Tablespoon stone-ground mustard
1 cup chicken stock or beer
1 pound frozen potato and cheese filler pierogies, precooked and drained
1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
1 cup swiss cheese, grated
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Drain the sauerkraut, reserving the liquid.
- Pre-heat a larger 12-inch oven-proof skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil and kielbasa slices. Brown sausage slices on both sides. Remove browned sausage from pan and set aside.
- Add onion and butter to the skillet. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper. Saute until brown - about 5 minutes. Add the drained sauerkraut and continue to saute for a few more minutes. Add stock or beer, reserved sauerkraut liquid and stone-ground mustard. Bring the mixture to a boil. Return browned kielbasa to the skillet.
- Add pierogies, nestling them into the sauerkraut and onions. Lower the heat under the pan and simmer for 5 minutes. Sprinkle the cheddar and swiss cheeses on top and transfer pan to the oven.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, until the pierogies are cooked through and cheese has melted.
- Top with chopped scallions and serve.