Summer squash makes a great gratin when paired with cream, J&A Pickled Garlic, and topped with flavorful and crunchy Panko bread flakes.
For Crunchy Bread Topping:
2/3 cup Panko bread flakes
1-2 tablespoons olive oil (just be sure the flakes are coated well to ensure good browning)
Pinch kosher salt
Pinch freshly ground black pepper
2 medium yellow onions, sliced thinly
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
8 cloves J&A Pickled Garlic
Pinch red pepper flakes
2 medium summer squash (yellow, zucchini, Zephyr), sliced thinly (halved, if they’re large)
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Large handful fresh basil, chiffonade
For Cream Sauce:
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup warm milk
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
Pinch black pepper
1-2 pinches nutmeg
1/3 cup Gruyére, grated
- Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a small bowl, mix ingredients for Crunchy Bread Topping; set aside.
- In a non-stick or iron skillet, heat butter and olive oil over medium heat. Add onions and sauté until they start to soften. Add J&A Pickled Garlic, red pepper flakes, sliced squash, salt and pepper. Sauté until squash softens and browns slightly, and the liquid evaporates from pan. Toss in fresh basil; turn off heat.
- For Cream Sauce, melt butter in small saucepan. Add flour and whisk until fully combined with butter. Cook for about 2 minutes (to eliminate raw flour flavor) then pour in warm milk, while whisking. Keep whisking until lumps are removed and mixture starts to thicken, then remove from heat and add salt, pepper and nutmeg. Stir in cheese.
- Pour cream sauce over squash and cover the whole top with Crunchy Bread Topping.
- Place pan in oven for about 30 minutes.
- Remove when the top is bubbly and the Crunchy Bread Topping is nicely browned. Allow to sit for a few minutes before serving.